Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Confessions

I am a huge booknerd. I don't think it's a secret but it's my confession to you today. I love to read. I've always loved to read. I'm sure I've told the story about how my dog really did eat my summer reading list? My sister & I used to see who could check out more books at a time. We brought our own bags to the library WAY before bringing your own bags anywhere was cool. My sister & I definitely get our love of reading from my mom, who used to sneak into the bathroom to read even though she wasn't doing anything but reading, and who used to open her book at stoplights. Forget texting while driving, my mom needed a law about reading while driving. And you think I'm kidding.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'm not really sure, I definitely share my mother's fondness of reading,even at inopportune times. Sometimes you just gotta know what happens next! Although in her books, it's almost always some steamy sex scene... she reads "romantic" books that required her to have book covers on all her books when we were kids.

I have a GoodReads account -- do you? And every so often I go through and add books that friends are reading to my "To Read" list. Then, every once and a while, I jump on the library website, reserve 20 books, and wait patiently for them to come in and for me to go pick them up. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of those. I knew I wanted to read it, but I was so engrossed in Pretty Little Liars that I couldn't interrupt the series for something as trivial as The Hunger Games. Well, sorry Aria Montgomery, but your stupid, crazy friend Alison turned Courtney turned Alison again just doesn't quite stand up to the Hunger Games, and I'm a fool for thinking she did. And sorry if I just ruined Pretty Little Liars for anyone, but the books got a little out of control. And by a little I mean a lot.

Back to the topic at hand, The Hunger Games. I started this book Wednesday night and got through 6 of the 31 chapters, and I knew if I didn't put it down then, I'd be up all night reading. It's that good. All through work yesterday I thought about what was happening to Prim and Katniss and Peeta and Gale. Then, babysitting last night I was able to convince 2 energetic little boys to hang out on the couch with me and all read quietly. WIN. And then I got home and I just couldn't stop. I read while I baked brownies, I read while I walked around packing my bag to go out of town this weekend... and I got into bed and read until 12:30am, WAY past my bedtime. And then the first book was over, but it was like it had just begun, because of course there are 2 more books, and of course I knew what was ultimately going to happen in the first one. I mean, duh.

So I urge you, command you, encourage you, whatever it takes to get you to the library or bookstore to check out this book. It was awesome and fantastic and everything I love in a book. There was even a love story involved with all the drama and suspense.

Hunger Games, I'm addicted. Fulton County Library, please get your ish together so I can have Book 2 promptly on my return from South Carolina.

PS - Heading to the land of orange & purple & cows this weekend to see some of my best friends (although one infamous Roxxy will be missing) Go Jackets!

No comments:

Post a Comment