Monday, December 6, 2010

It's no secret, I love food. A lot. I love to eat it, I love to cook it, I love to talk about it. So the other day I had pomegranate seeds for a snack at work, and my coworker confessed that she had no idea how to peel a pomegranate without a)getting juice everywhere and b)wanting to throw the pom at the wall because it's such a pain in the butt. But have no fear - the pictures below will lead you on a step by step path to pomegranate success. Ready? Go.

1. Cut off the bottom.

2. Cut off the top!  

3. Slice 5-6 times around the sides.

4. Split it open. Resist temptation to stop there and eat all seeds. See the bowl of water underneath? Just submerge the chunks of pom flesh and remove the seeds from the skin. Much easier when its under water!

5. Pull the extra skin off the seeds.

6. Take a spoon and chow down. YUM.

7. Still a little mess from the initial cut, but nothing compared to if you had peeled it on the counter!

Anybody else have any top secret tips for eating/cutting/peeling tricky foods? Onions & mangoes really mess me up, too. 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! I'll refer to this next time I buy a pom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is really servicey! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never actually eaten a pomegranate before! I will be trying this asap!

    ReplyDelete