Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Confessions

I claim the South as home, but I really have to admit that I am a midwesterner by blood. That being said, never have I been much for southern cuisine. Breakfast gravy? No, gravy goes on turkey at dinner.  Grits? More like gross. And collard greens?  I'd rather shove bamboo shoots up my fingernails than even smell them.

So when the chef at Rosebud did a demonstration at the Peachtree Road Farmers Market, and he served up a hefty portion of biscuits & gravy and stone-ground grits, I really didn't have it in me to say no thank you. After all, he slaved over a hot stove all morning & I watched him personally whip up this culinary masterpiece. Plus I think he was eyeing me and my "dontcha know"s the whole time, trying to size me up. Was I really going to say no to his food to his face? I couldn't.

AND OH MY GOD I WISH I HAD BELIEVED IN SOUTHERN BREAKFAST FOOD SO MUCH EARLIER IN LIFE. 


I now find myself ordering grits on the side at brunch, and requesting extra gravy on the side. I am the epitome of health, I know.  So when I found out they were catering The Flying Biscuit for lunch at work today, a little part of my soul died. And so did half of the catering size dish of delicious, creamy grits. THEY WERE SO GOOD. Different than Rosebud's, but so freaking awesome.

I'm now going to crawl in the corner and attempt to not run back to the kitchen any more. Or fall asleep at my desk in peaceful slumber. I might ask if I can take the tray home and eat it for dinner though. Too much? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

4 comments:

  1. Biscuits and gravy have long been my favorite breakfast...and now I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah the biscuits and gravy at Britain were part of the reason for my Freshman 15. Sooo tasty, even more so from places that actually serve it up right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Flying Biscuit is SO AMAZING! Every single thing on their menu is beyond delicious, but especially the breakfast.

    Ah man, now I'm gonna have to go to Atlanta this weekend and get some! haha

    ReplyDelete