Monday, August 30, 2010

Are you a gym rat?

I'm not much of a complainer via the internet. I really save my complaints for my mom. She's a good listener, mainly because she has to even if she doesn't want to. It's in the job description for mom. But, I have a complaint. Not a huge one, but just a little something that's bothering me.

I love Twitter. I think it is a FANTASTIC tool for networking, customer service, advertising, and whatever else you want it to be. While I was perusing the LA Fitness website a few days ago to figure out how to make the most of my few remaining days as a member, I discovered that they, too, have a Twitter account. Imagine that! So I decided to follow LA Fitness.

Then I opened my Twitter feed this morning to see this:


I think this is terrible, no good, very bad advice. First of all, it makes it seem as though snacking is a bad thing. It's not. As with everything else, it's healthy in moderation. Now, I don't consider myself an expert, or even a healthy living blogger, or anything else that would make me at all qualified to speak about this subject, but I just have to tell you, coming from a place like LA Fitness, that is not what I was expecting to see in my Twitter feed. As someone who is currently trying to perfect my exercise routine and eating habits, that 140-word-tidbit wasn't motivating. It didn't inspire me to not eat snacks. It discouraged me - made me feel like if I have more than 3 bites of my snack then I'm not up to LA Fitness par. Maybe I'm overreacting to a stupid tweet, but it's really how I felt!

Because I firmly believe that if you are going to complain out loud, you should also offer solutions to the problem... LA Fitness, rather than calling me out for the things I do wrong, how about tweeting instructions for a quick workout or challenging followers to meet a milestone such as increasing their speed or adding another lap to their swim? Or offering information about what's going on at clubs across the country! Or maybe a tip about how to warm up or cool down, or where to get great running shoes... Anything other than making me feel bad about what I'm already doing, really! I get that it's a suggestion, and I do see where the tweet was coming from but... I still don't like it. And maybe it's just me, and I'll deal.

I guess all I am trying to say is that LA Fitness is not in my good graces as of lately. Between the rotten (although remedied) customer service I received and now their tweets about how to eat and calories... I'm just not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment