Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Poisonwood Bible

I am not a quitter. I've quit 1 thing in my life that I can remember. (But who wants to remember being a quitter?!)

That is why it kills me to give up on a book in the middle of it because I'm not interested. I can usually power through and finish it. But this book, The Poisonwood Bible, is killing me. It's long. It's drawn out. It's repetitive. It's not all that entertaining. And I'm bored, and I have 3 other books sitting on my counter that I KNOW will be far more interesting (and much quicker reads). I love to read. I love books. I have a million on my bookshelves. My mom has a million more in Florida that once belonged to me. There are a million more in storage. That's a whopping 3 million books, for those of you who aren't math pros. So why is this 1 measly book giving me so much trouble? It's maddening, I tell you.

Have you ever quit a book mid-read? Did you feel like a horrible person? I am racked with guilt over this, obviously, and the chances that I quit reading it are slim to none because I'm competitive. And if someone else can finish it, then damnit I can too. But I don't want to. And I might skip a few pages, and skim a few more. But it's my book, so I can do that.

Plus it's so boring that I doubt I'll miss anything too exciting.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, it really was a hard book to finish. The end is better than the beginning, but not by much. One of my students recommended this book to me, and personally? I'm about to go find him and smack him. JUST KIDDING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 your blog! So glad I found you on the Blogger's Club!!!

    <3 kp

    Don't forget to enter my Ruffled Tank giveaway!
    http://fashionmommaintraining.blogspot.com/2010/07/ruffle-top-giveaway-from-mjcreations.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I actually really like that book but when you don't feel it you don't feel it- I ended up giving up on one of my mom's favorite books.
    I will say, though, that my favorite book of all time (The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay) was a really slow starter and I gave up on it the first time and then I tried it again and the rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own that book but have never really gotten past the first few pages. Don't feel bad about quitting! I just quit Love in the Time of Cholera. It was terrible IMO.

    Question - I need books to read. Do you have any recommendations? I just joined the New York Public Library and they have so many books, including things that just came out. I requested The Help. What else?

    ReplyDelete