Sunday, January 12, 2014

Dallas Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon Training Update 1

I am sitting down and writing this after what was supposed to be a 4 mile run. It turned into a 2 mile walk. I started out feeling fine, but about 1/4 mile in, my left shin started really hurting. I figured I'd slow down, walk for a few minutes, and I even stopped to stretch, but no matter what I did the pain was excruciating. As I'm sitting here now, it's throbbing.
 
 
I can't tell you how frustrating this is to me. I know it's just my shin and probably a relatively easy fix (I'm thinking new shoes or at a minimum shoe inserts) but I am not a runner. I don't actually know what's happening. I'm a human with 2 legs who is attempting to put one of them in front of the other for 13.1 miles and if this is the kind of encouragement I get from my body, well then I might as well give up now.
 
I'm not going to. Being intentional means that I deliberately registered for this 1/2 marathon and I'm going to do it come hell or high water, but man, it is not going to be easy. I didn't expect it to be, but I thought maybe the initial training weeks would be a little nicer to me.
 
Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, and then Tuesday I'l attempt another 4-miler. I'm hoping I can squeeze in a trip to Sports Authority or something and pick up shoe inserts but maybe I'll just throw on a different pair of tennis shoes and give them a go. Better than nothing.
 
Any more seasoned runners have different advice? My shoes are definitely not worn out, so I'm a little bummed at the idea of having to buy new ones. I'm trying really hard to remain positive, but I would be lying if I said I hadn't considered throwing in the towel. But I won't! The show race must go on!
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you're doing this, and also by your attitude! I'm sorry you're in pain. Shin splints are no fun.

    Here's my advice:
    Your instincts are right -- most of the time, shin splints are caused by your shoes. The Sports Authority dudes won't be too much help with this; I'd go to a specialty running store if you haven't already and have them check your shoes. They do a gait analysis (usually on a treadmill) and while it sounds like overkill, it's really helpful to be sure your shoes aren't causing your pain.

    In the meantime, icing after running or run/walking will go a long way to alleviate the pain and heal your shins. It's best if you do it right after you finish -- beeline to the freezer, pull out a bag of peas or whatever, and plop them on your shins for about 10-12 minutes.

    I think it's pretty normal for tweaks, pains, and full-blown injuries to crop up from time to time, since running is basically a high-intensity sport. The runnersworld.com website is a good resource for injury tips (from figuring out what it is to general injury prevention. They have a quiz about shin pain here: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/problem-my-shin-sore). It's also normal to go through phases -- when I first started running, I had a lot of knee pain, which eventually went away, only to be replaced by shin splints, which went away over time, too.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tips re shin splints

    #1 don't ignore it. It could be your shoes, it could be running on hard surfaces, it could be your hips (my issue, which sounds weird, but when my PT explained it -- made so much sense).

    You def. want to make it through to this half injury free, so don't ignore the twinges (although it sounds like you couldnt!)

    I would recc icing, trying different shoes, and trying a different surface - concrete is pretty unforgiving. if you have access to a trail or a track, that's going to give you more cushion and less for on your shins. make sure your running stride is good - when i get tired at the end of a run, my form suffers and then there's the risk for injury too.

    If you're running a half, I would def. get fitted in shoes from a running store. They'll figure out your gait and what kind of shoe you need. It's possible you could be a neutral runner, and that you won't need special shoes to help with your running form, but its also possible that shoes could be the magic cure-all.

    good luck and of course let me know if you need anything!! :)

    ReplyDelete