Monday, March 1, 2010

New Shoes

Now that I have been living in the world of "wake up and go to work Monday through Friday every week no matter what" for 4 months, I remembered what I missed about not working in a traditional office. There are a lot of great things about being a personal assistant, but the most important of these things is clothing and attire. As a personal assistant I wore whatever I wanted to work. Jeans, ok! Sweatpants? Probably only on the day when Phipps Plaza was on my list of places I had to go. Mainly because that's just my luck. But I could wear them, and I could be happy with my sweatpants and flip flops and sneakers and tshirts.

But now, I go to work every day. I sit in a cube. I have a desk and post-it notes and a computer and a boss who sits down the hall and likes to startle me just when I think no one is paying attention to me. So clearly, my wardrobe has changed (although apparently not that much). And now I need work appropriate shoes. The ones I had to start quickly bit the dust after wearing them every single day, and I realized on more than one occasion that uncomfortable shoes NEVER GET MORE COMFORTABLE. But, shoes are expensive. Or at least more expensive than I want them to be. And I learned my lesson, and will not be purchasing $8 Payless shoes to wear to work every day.

But, it's like a catch-22, because I didn't want to spend the money to buy new shoes, so I keep wearing out more and more of the shoes I have, until now today I am left with no functioning brown shoes, black shoes that make that clicking sound every time I walk on the tile floors because I wore out the tip on the heel, and white stripper shoes that really aren't work appropriate. Or comfortable.

I have been perusing Aldo, Zappo's, Dillard's, Bloomingdale's, and a bunch of other shoes places I think with the hope of magically finding free shoes. Obviously that didn't happen, and I decided I was just going to suck it up and order shoes from Zappo's. I did it. After having them in my shopping cart for almost 2 weeks, I just hit PURCHASE today. 3 new pairs of work appropriate shoes will be at my door in probably 2 days. My feet are doing a happy dance and my wallet is crying, because shoes are expensive.

Hopefully these are the last non-fun shoes I buy in 2010. Plain black and plain brown are just no fun, although I did make a small attempt to spice it up with brown crocodile. It's the little things people, the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment