Thursday, August 15, 2013

Recent Reads

I haven't posted a "What I'm Reading"-esque post in ages. You can always check in with me on GoodReads, but thought I'd share the last few books I've read and loved, plus any pertinent thoughts.

  • Summer Rental, by Mary Kay Andrews -- excellent beach read, I found myself interested in picking it up frequently, but could easily walk away when I needed to be productive
  • Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns, by Lauren Weisberger -- the sequel to The Devil Wears Prada (also made into a movie); this one was long and drawn out and really the only reason I finished it was because I had a 4 hour plane ride home followed by a day at the lake with my parents. Cute, but way too long.
 

  • Matched, Crossed, and Reached by Ally Condie -- one of my recent favorite genres, teen dystopian novels. The first 2 were great, the 3rd one took forever to get through. I recommend them if you are into this type of book, but don't expect the last one to be nearly as exciting as the first two (or others like them)!
 
  • Jesus Land, by Julia Scheeres -- truly a fascinating read. If I were really good, I'd have done some research after I read the book to find out how much is true and how much was fictional, but I didn't. Guess what I'll be doing later today?
  •  
  • State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett -- a friend's mother recommended this and it was one I truly couldn't put down. I guess it's another "I should do more research on how much truth is behind this book" but all in all, highly recommended. I think part of why I liked the plot so much was because of how completely unrelatable it was. Never in a million years would I find myself in the environment described in the book (or any of the above books, if we're being honest. That's why I love to read -- getting lost in the truly fictional)
     
Tell me, what are you reading?
 
It's truly one of my passions, and although my free time is scant these days, I have a feeling it's one of the things I'll carve out time for regardless of what's going on around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment