Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A few humble brags

I've rambled incessantly about how much I love my job, how much time and effort I put into it, and how it never really feels like work because I enjoy it so much. And all of that is 100% true nearly 3 years later.
 
 
I started as an assistant, not knowing what the heck I was doing, who I was working for, or what "consulting" meant. 13 months later I was promoted to associate, which meant that I figured out the definition of consulting and impressed a few people along the way, but really my job hadn't changed much over the course of a year.  On July 1, 2013 I got my second promotion, to coordinator. If I hadn't thought about it much, I'd say my responsibilities still hadn't changed, my title hadn't changed other than the official position at the end, but that couldn't be further from the truth.
 
Over the last 33 months, I have learned an entire business. I have met and cultivated relationships with 300+ people. I have had first criers, second criers, and many more criers in my office (usually me). I've sassed senior executives, cursed crazy assistants, thanked heavens for incredible colleagues, and wondered where I'd be without a boss who believed in me. That promotion in July meant more to me than any yet, especially as I look back on how far I've come in 33 months.
 
Then, last Friday, I was honored with an award in recognition of my individual excellence and outstanding contributions along with 15 of my most esteemed colleagues across North America. I had no idea this was coming, and received nearly 100 congratulatory emails throughout the day. I couldn't stop smiling. What a special, joyous occasion, to be recognized and applauded for doing something that I cherish. For being trusted so completely. I just couldn't believe how many people noticed.
 
My wish for you today is to tell someone how much you appreciate them.
 
Even better, show them with a card, flowers, or some little trinket that they will put on their desk and treasure. It doesn't have to be a major award or accomplishment. Most people are just looking for a little reassurance that they are doing the right thing, that you are proud of them, that their contributions mean something.
 
Thank you, most wonderful place to work, for recognizing and appreciating me.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment