Tuesday, January 8, 2013

These Are Things

I love, love, love buying gifts for other people. The feeling of satisfaction when you know you've found something they'll love, the anticipation and nerves leading up to when they open it, and the excitement when you realize that you did, in fact, pick out the perfect present.
photo: me, Christmas 2010, loving all my presents

This was one of those presents. I don't know how I found it. When I visited Philadelphia in October, we came across a small art shop selling Orkposters. I fell in love and immediately knew I had to have them. Unfortunately when I researched a bit more, I realized they didn't have the cities I wanted. Side note: how do you have Denver but not Atlanta or Miami or anywhere else south of the Mason-Dixon line? So then I had to take my quest elsewhere. I knew that there must be someone out there who produced beautiful maps of the cities I call mine. I guess that's how I stumbled upon these are things and fell equally in love with their product. It didn't have quite the creative spin that Orkposters did, but the coloring and size was perfect.

I purchased a map, and it was mailed to me 4 days later. I pulled it out and immediately squealed - it was everything I wanted! I realized I needed a frame before I could gift it so off to Michael's I went. I found a (cheap) frame, packaged that bad boy up, and off it went to sit under someone's Christmas tree.
Atlanta Neighborhoods Map by These Are Things
 
Atlanta Neighborhoods Map by These Are Things


The verdict? Major success, loved by me and the recipient, and already hung for visitors to see.

The prints are a little pricy, I'll be the first to admit, but they are so unique and exciting that I thought it was a worthwhile spend. What's the best gift you've ever given or received?

No comments:

Post a Comment