Friday, January 11, 2013

So I heard you were moving...

I ran into a friend recently that I hadn't seen in a while, and she asked me when I was moving. I gave her kind of a strange look, and she said, "oh, I heard you were moving to Texas!"

My first reaction, surprisingly, was embarrassment as I shook my head and said, "No, I'm sticking around here for a while. Definitely no truth to that!" I was embarrassed because someone thought I was going to "move on" with my life, take a risk, take the next step; I was going to take a chance on the unknown. Well, real life couldn't be farther from the truth, which I guess is why I felt that way.

My second (delayed) reaction was to wonder why other people were talking about me. Surely there are more interesting things to talk about than a girl who overshares about how great her job is and posts on twitter about the crazies she encounters via online dating. But then I caught myself. It's so easy to assume that people are being malicious, that they have bad intentions, and I am sure that wasn't the case. My friend was excited for me, wanted to hear about my new, albeit non-existent, upcoming challenge, and for that I am so thankful. It took me a second, but I realized no one was chasing me out of Atlanta. On the contrary, an old friend was excited for me about a new opportunity, one that she thought was exactly what I wanted. What more could I ask for?

Perhaps my life is a little mundane with a dash of crazy thrown in every now and then, but I guess that's what makes it interesting and makes me happy. I don't need to move to another city or make a huge career move to be successful. I am unquestionably happy right where I am.

I am always reminding myself, both personally and professionally, that more times than not other people have good intentions. And taking it a step further, I'd even say they have my best interest at heart! So, I encourage you, invisible internet friends, to think the same way. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and I promise you won't be disappointed.

 
 
PS - shout out to said friend, who also asked when I was going to start blogging again :) not only did you inspire me to pick it back up, but you were also the inspiration for a post. xo!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment