Monday, July 15, 2013

Quitter quitter quitter.

Sometimes, it's okay to feel like a quitter. Right now, I do.
 
Remember that fast-approaching triathlon I've been posting about and training for over the last 6ish weeks? It came and went this weekend. I worked another nearly 60 hour week and was reduced to tears in my all-glass-fishbowl office Friday morning. I spent Friday night with a great friend who is moving this week, and I woke up Saturday morning still fighting back tears.
 
So I did what any girl does. I called my mom, and I cried. And she told me I'd be foolish to do anything but lay on my couch all weekend and relax. She was a little bit right. I laid on my couch all day Saturday watching episodes of Breaking Bad (still obsessed!) and committing to doing my triathlon on Sunday, but in Atlanta rather than in Charlotte. Mentally, it was exactly what I needed.
 
And then I woke up Sunday morning feeling a little bit better, a little more like myself. I laid in bed all morning waiting for my gym to open, and as soon as it did, I was there. I swam 250 yards (which is 25 extra, mind you), rode 8 miles on the indoor bike, and ran/walked almost 2 miles around the track. It took me an hour and ten minutes to do it, and I figured if I had really done the race, I'd add another 15 minutes to my bike time since I was inside versus actually on the road. And to be honest, I felt really, really great while I did it. So all my worries about being undertrained? Gone. And I think I actually have an even better plan for going forward. And then I came back to my house and continued to sit on the couch watching Breaking Bad.

So yeah, I'm still really embarassed that I 'quit' and didn't spend 4 hours in the car on Saturday, an hour and a half doing the triathlon, and then driving four hours back on Sunday. I am not a quitter, I rarely give up, and I usually end up burning myself out in the process. In fact, I'd imagine that's how I got here in the first place. In case you're worried, I held up my end of the Ramblin' Rose Ambassador program by blogging about the race, plus I have another one scheduled for September. And I'll be damned if I'm going to let life get in the way of that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment