Friday, June 27, 2014

Trying to remember it all...

I was sitting in class this week and started giggling about something stupid and couldn't stop. It was nothing funny at all, but I kept laughing until tears were rolling down my face and I couldn't catch my breath.

In that moment, I had a flashback to a ski trip in high school. We had just finished with dinner and were sitting around the kitchen table talking like and a buddy and I started laughing about something, and then we just couldn't stop. We laughed and laughed and laughed, until we were red in the face, couldn't breathe, and everyone was looking at us like we'd lost our minds. I remember thinking in that moment and right after that I wanted to remember it forever, what that very minute felt like for me. I knew deep down that I was happy, carefree, loved, and I felt like the world was at my fingertips. It truly, really was.


As I giggled uncontrollably in class, I somehow conjured up that memory, and it really hit home for me. So often I want to ingrain every single moment into my brain, commit it to memory and be able to draw on it forever. Every moment is that precious to me. What I'm learning, over and over and over again, is that keeping every memory within arms reach is just not possible.  Tonight was a good reminder to me that it's the little moments that matter and define me just as much as the big ones. It's giggling in class and at the dinner table with my favorite people for practically no reason at all that I want to carry with me for a lifetime.

Pictures totally unrelated (and 5+ years old) but are super happy memories captured on camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment