Tuesday, April 10, 2012

10,000 foot proposal

Tuesday remains the worst day of the week. There are so many reasons why. Today all I wanted was for it to be Saturday so I could lay in bed until 9:30am, get up and move to the couch until noon, eat lunch, lay back down on the couch, and get up around 6pm frantic because I had done nothing all day and so do a mad sweep of my room and the house and collapse into bed around 9pm from my "exhausting" day. Doesn't that sound like it would have been fantastic today?

Instead, I present you with a "This could really only happen to me" story. I'm not a very good story teller, so this will likely be long-winded and not at all funny. It happens. So here it goes.

I went to Washington DC for Easter weekend. 2 of my best friends are there, and it just seemed fitting. My parents are staying in Florida until early May and well... I had nothing else to do here. To DC I went!

For some reason I booked a 7:30am Friday morning flight. Why I didn't fly out Thursday night will always be a mystery, especially now. So I haul myself out of bed after a wild night at the nearest Mexican joint with my best friend. And by wild night I mean we only ordered 1 queso and 1 guacamole instead of the usual 3 guacamoles. Split between 2 of us. Anyway.

Arrive at airport, wait a few minutes, all 11 passengers board the plane. At this point I'm convinced that God doesn't care about anyone on the plane and since it's not full clearly it's going down. I know, logic evades me at 7:30am. And most other times of day. So I get on the empty plane. Sit down in my lovely window seat that I hand-picked because the row was empty when I checked in online. MISTAKE NUMBER 1.

I close my eyes, listen to the lovely sounds of Hairspray the Musical and drift off into dreamland. Except more like nightmare land as I think of every possible worst case scenario on an airplane. Then, 2 women sit down next to me. Great. The only row ON THE ENTIRE PLANE that is full. I can see 2 completely empty rows around me. But not wanting to be rude, I stay in my seat. I break the rules and listen to my music as we take off, and then pull out my computer at the wonderful cruising altitude of 10,000 feet. I'm going to work, and then when I get to DC I can have an actual, real vacation day.

SIKE. About the same time I pull out my laptop, the woman in the aisle seat pulls out a box and presents it to the woman in the middle seat. She starts to open it and I'm kind of side-eye watching. The box is neverending. It's a box inside a box inside a box on and on for probably 15 boxes. It looked like the image you see on your right, only not quite as artistic and more real life. You get it.

So at this point I'm blatantly staring. There are no more discrete looks. And the flight attendant is standing at our row with his hands clasped. And then I realize... this is about to be a proposal. I am about to witness a proposal on an airplane within 6 inches of me. And I dare not tell a lie, because 5 boxes later what does my middle-seated friend open but a ring, which is promptly placed on her finger. The flight attendant is squealing and I'm doing the best I can to pretend like I haven't been staring the entire time when really I've been staring and updating my Facebook and telling every person who is on my work IM system at 8am about what is happening.

That's not even the kicker. I'm thrilled that I witnessed a proposal on an airplane and in such a cute way. Seriously, thrilled. The problem is that I then had to sit through 60 torturous minutes of these women making out and giggling and groping each other 6 inches from me. I wanted to get up and sit in the empty seats I was staring down, but I didn't want to be rude or seem like I was feeling uncomfortable. Even though I was, in a major way. So instead I just turned toward the window and kept working...and let's be honest, really listening to their conversation and sweet whispers because I was so close I could HEAR THEM.

Lesson #1: When selecting a seat on a pretty empty flight, go for the middle. Chances are only 1 person will join you and they either pick window or aisle, leaving you with 2 glorious seats.

Lesson #2: Attempts to not be awkward (ie leaving the row) result in even more awkward situations (ie proposal in my face)

I hope your weekend started off as exciting as mine did. No flight will ever compare.

1 comment:

  1. Woooow. That's an...interesting proposal/proposal idea.

    Also, I'm with ya on Tuesdays. For real.

    ReplyDelete