Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Change Schmange

I am probably the most change averse person I know.

When my parents sold my house back in 2008, I literally refused to come home and pack up my room and my stuff, to the point that my mom eventually threw it all into boxes and one day I came home and my room was empty. I guess it will be fun to unpack those boxes in a few months.

The summer before my freshman year of college, I said I wished I could live in June 2004 forever. One of the best gifts I have ever gotten was from a high school friend related to that comment. She created a little box out of cardboard, and on the inside she glued pictures of our group of friends from that summer and an amazing quote. She said, "Here you go, Katie. Summer 2004 forever." I'm pretty sure that teeny, tiny cardboard box is packed away somewhere but I'm not sure where. See above.

And now, my life is changing again, in small ways. Two people who have become very close friends are "moving away." My parents are spending more and more time back in Atlanta, preparing for their our lakehouse to be ready. We have a new youth minister at church who has basically managed to flip the entire program upside-down and inside-out in a matter of 2 weeks. And for some reason, I can't help but thinking that perhaps my romantic life is about to change as well. I have zero reason to believe that, so maybe it's just hopeful thinking.


For the first time in my whole life, I'm not quite as opposed to these changes. My friends leaving means bigger and better things are in store for them, and I'm excited and proud. My parents moving back means I'll get to spend more time with them AND that the lakehouse will finally be complete. A new youth minister could mean new volunteers, potential new friends, and a fresh start in leading teens closer to God. And my romantic life? Well, to that I say it's about damn time. 


I am embracing these changes as best I can, but don't mind me if I try to bury my head in the sand for a little bit while all these things happen around me. It's what I do best.

How do you deal with changes? Are you of the "Heck yeah, bring it on" mentality, or more like me, the "but why can't things just stay exactly like they are at this very minute?"

No comments:

Post a Comment